1. Go Solar to Save MoneyOne of the main advantages of going solar is the savings. The NC Clean Energy Technology Center estimates that installing solar panels on your home can save you an average of $44 to $187 per month during the first year.
2. Go Solar to Boost Your Home’s ValueAnother advantage of adding solar energy to your home is an increase in home value. Solar energy panels can add up to $15,000 to the value of your home according to a recent study by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.
3. Go Solar to Sell Your Home More QuicklyHomes with solar panels installed sold more quickly (and at higher prices) than homes without solar panels, this according to a study3 by the National Renewable Energy Lab.
4. Go Solar to Lock in Low Energy CostsOnce you’ve switched to solar energy, you also are released from the volatility of rising electricity costs from traditional energy sources such as coal, oil and natural gas —locking in low energy costs is a definite advantage of solar energy.
5. Go Solar to Make Money on EnergyIf you’ve installed a solar power system that’s generating more electricity than you are using, in many cases the utility company will credit your excess production in a process called net metering.
6. Go Solar to Reduce PollutionTraditional power generation pollutes the air and is a leading cause of carbon emissions. Solar energy doesn’t emit any pollution during energy production or use.
7. Go Solar to Save TimeThere’s virtually no maintenance associate with solar power systems, and systems can last up to 30 years. Once your solar panels are installed, they create power and savings for homeowners with almost no added costs.
8. Go Solar to Access Energy AnywhereOne advantage of solar power is that it can be used anywhere that the sun shines, even off the power grid. For astronauts, this means space; for the rest of us, it means locations where the power grid is unavailable, unreliable, or prohibitively expensive to access.
9. Go Solar to Access Tax Credits and Government IncentivesThe U.S. Department of Energy currently offers a rebate on solar panel installation, and many local and state governments also have their own programs.
10. Go Solar to Promote Green EnergyMany people like to invest their money in a way that reflects their values. Homeowners who choose solar energy are supporting an industry that aims to reduce the United State’s dependence on fossil fuels.